Define tracks by google maps?

Old forum being kept online for archive purposes
Forum rules
This is the old archived forum. Please post new threads in the new forum instead. Thank you.

Define tracks by google maps?

Postby ps_v10r8 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:33 am

I see that you can show images from google maps in your display, I'm wondering if it is possible to define a new tack using these same images. The reason being, I have my iPad mounted in my car on the passenger seat (facing forward) because I'm concerned that a window mount will fall off while I'm driving - as a result, it's practically impossible for me to start / stop the lap while I'm driving. Alternatively, if I were to walk out onto the pit row and hold the iPad at the start finish line, could it capture that point without me being in my car? My only concern with that is that the side I can reach on foot is across the track from the actual racing line and I'm not sure what level of precision is required.

Thanks,

PS.
ps_v10r8

Re: Define tracks by google maps?

Postby RaceRender LLC » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Yes, you have several options, including satellite map imagery, to define the start/finish position before driving on the track...

First, when you're on the main Settings screen, press the track button, and then press the "New" button to add the track. It will automatically set the track name if it has your GPS position and recognizes the area, and you can edit that name to your liking.

If you do nothing (or erase existing coordinates), it will give you that on-screen button to set the position after you start recording a session. Or, if you know the latitude and longitude coordinates, you can enter them directly on this screen. The heading can be left blank to be automatic (it will use the heading of the first time you trigger the coordinates when going 40mph or faster).

To set the position by walking to, or near, the track's start/finish point, and/or by using the satellite map imagery, press the (>) button. If a position had already been set for this track, it will take you directly to the satellite view, but otherwise you will now see a screen with two sections...

The top section will allow you to set the point at your current GPS position, so you'll want to use this is you're directly on the track surface, or perhaps standing on the edge of it. There is some tolerance built into the lap detection, but you may improve accuracy and reliability by setting the point more exactly.

The bottom section will help you estimate the point on the track from a nearby position... Point the top of your device towards the track surface (so the app can obtain the compass reading), select the estimated distance, and press the "Set Estimated Point" button. Be sure that the displayed "Angle" matches what you would expect, as the compass can sometimes be a bit off (0 or 360 is North, 90 is East, 180 is South, 270 is West).

If you just want to use the satellite map imagery to set the point, simply press either of the buttons.

After pressing either of the buttons, the position that was set will then be displayed as a red pin on top of a satellite map view. The blue dot will be your current GPS position. You can drag your finger across the map to move the displayed area, pinch to zoom, or tap & hold to set a new position for the red pin. You want the red pin to be at your track's start/finish position. The "Use GPS" button will take you back to the previous screen where you can reset the point based on the current GPS position or a nearby estimated point.

Here is the relevant documentation page, with screen shots: http://RaceRender.com/TrackAddict/docs/TrackSet.html
RaceRender LLC
by HP Tuners
RaceRender LLC
Site Admin

Postby ps_v10r8 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:41 am

Thanks, that worked great. Since I live only about an hour from the track, I used the gps positioning to show my current location and then moved around the google map until I found the track and then used the pin drop to set the start finish line. I did this well in advance of going to the track (at home with a WiFi connection) and although I was concerned it wouldn't pick it up correctly, it worked absolutely perfectly. As it turns out, it's probably a good thing that I set it before I went to the track since I'm not sure the other approach would have worked (I don't have 3g and the track doesn't have WiFi) - I certainly wouldn't have been able to fine tune the location on the map without connectivity.

I would be nice if you had a repository of tracks or perhaps just a pointer to your forum where people can list them (since it's just two or three values to be entered anyway) - mind you, it is really simple to set up from scratch and I suspect most people race at one or two tracks near them anyway so it's probably not a big deal.

Regards,

ps.
ps_v10r8

Postby RaceRender LLC » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:50 am

Quick update: TrackAddict HD 1.7 is now available and includes a default start/finish point for most USA tracks and several in other countries. You will be prompted if you want to use that default when you go to add a new track in the app, assuming that your device has an accurate nearby GPS fix. You can view and modify this point on the satellite image map, or you may choose to just erase the latitude and longitude coordinates to reset the track so that it gives you the on-screen button to press when you cross the start/finish line on your first lap.
RaceRender LLC
by HP Tuners
RaceRender LLC
Site Admin

Return to TrackAddict (Archive)