Multiple bluetooth connections

Old forum being kept online for archive purposes
Forum rules
This is the old archived forum. Please post new threads in the new forum instead. Thank you.

Multiple bluetooth connections

Postby Rboosted717 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:58 am

While using the TrackAddict HD app, is it possible to have multiple bluetooth connections active at that same time?
I'm hoping to use the following setup:
iPhone 5 (w/ latest OS)
TrackAddict HD Pro (w/latest verison)
GoPro via WiFi
Dual GPS (XGPS150A) via Bluetooth
Hondata/OBDII interface via Bluetooth (ELM327 protocol)

Thanks for the help!
Rboosted717

Re: Multiple bluetooth connections

Postby RaceRender LLC » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:17 pm

It is possible to have multiple Bluetooth connections on an iPhone, however the only OBD-II device that is currently supported over Bluetooth is the GoPoint BT1. All of the other supported OBD-II devices are WiFi-based.

This is mainly due to Apple's restrictions on traditional Bluetooth devices, so there's no universal Bluetooth OBD-II protocol or access method for iOS like you might find on other platforms. That comes into play before we're able to talk to the ELM327 or whatever the OBD-II chip might be. GoPoint support was possible because they made a good effort to help app developers support their product, while some others didn't seem to care so much. Even still, it required writing specific code for their devices and then going through a whole process of approvals to get that update into the App Store. Unfortunately, the GoPoint company seems to be in some sort of hiatus over the past few months, so it has been harder to find their devices for sale.

The newer Bluetooth 4 LE devices would appear to offer some hope, as they can be much less restricted and more open, similar to what we see with WiFi devices (but potentially better). The problem, of course, is that there don't appear to be any general-purpose OBD-II devices that use BT 4 LE yet. As such, there's no typical or defacto standard way for apps to talk to such a device, so it's not yet practical to build any sort of universal interface to support that. Looking at Hondata's system requirements and other info, I would suspect that it is using BT 4 LE, so that's a great start, but it being limited to specific hardware in specific cars makes it much more complicated for app developers to test and support. I will contact Hondata to see if they can shed any more light on this, but I wouldn't be able to make any commitments to support it at this time...
RaceRender LLC
by HP Tuners
RaceRender LLC
Site Admin

Re: Multiple bluetooth connections

Postby Rboosted717 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:22 pm

Thank you for the detailed and informative response!
Please let me know what you're able to find out from Hondata. Given the large Honda/Hondata based community, especially with track cars, this would be a great item to support for TrackAddict. Also, considering a large portion of Hondata systems are OBDI based, Hondata's new Bluetooth feature is now the only way to externally view sensor data aside from a laptop. Overlaying this data with TrackAddict would be a HUGE and very popular feature amongst the Honda community!
Rboosted717

Return to TrackAddict (Archive)