Failed to Start Video Recording

Old forum being kept online for archive purposes
Forum rules
This is the old archived forum. Please post new threads in the new forum instead. Thank you.

Failed to Start Video Recording

Postby RaceRender LLC » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:25 pm

If you get a message that the video failed to start recording (on iOS 7 or newer), this is most likely because you had denied permission for TrackAddict HD to use your microphone. Please follow these simple steps to solve that:

1) Go to your iOS device's Settings app
2) Select Privacy
3) Select Microphone
4) Turn it on for TrackAddict

And as always, make sure that your device has sufficient free space available for your new recording, otherwise it will stop prematurely.

If those steps don't solve it, then either the camera has been restricted on your device (Settings app -> General -> Restrictions), is somehow in use by another app, your device doesn't have enough free space to start a new video recording, or there is another issue with your device.
Last edited by RaceRender LLC on Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated
RaceRender LLC
by HP Tuners
RaceRender LLC
Site Admin

Re: Failed to Start Video Recording

Postby bimmerbri2 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:16 pm

This happened to me today. My iphone does not have "microphone" under Privacy? I also cannot load any tracks?
bimmerbri2

Postby RaceRender LLC » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:38 pm

bimmerbri2 wrote:This happened to me today. My iphone does not have "microphone" under Privacy? I also cannot load any tracks?

If you are still using iOS 6, the Microphone privacy setting would not be available, and therefore should not be the issue. That's something that had come up with iOS 7, being that some users had mistakenly denied access when prompted. In the case of iOS 6, the other advice still applies... Insufficient storage space is the leading cause of video recording or processing problems. When a video recording option is enabled in TrackAddict HD, it will show an estimated number of minutes available under the "Video" text, colored in green, yellow, or red. If that's red, that's likely to be the problem. You can also view the available space on your device by using the Settings app -> General -> Usage. If the storage space appears to be sufficient, then it's possible that the remaining available space is being reserved for something else (iOS sometimes does this, while still reporting it as available free space), so you should let any downloads or other app updates complete, and then check again.

If all else fails, restarting the iPhone is worth a try, although that should very rarely be needed. To do this, hold the Home and Power buttons until the screen goes black and then the Apple logo appears.

Can you explain what you mean by "cannot load any tracks"? That kind of problem hasn't been reported by anyone else, so I'll need to know some details in order to get an idea of what might be happening in your case... Are you saying that the app cannot add new tracks, cannot load previously added tracks, or both? Can you also tell me which iPhone model you are using, which version of iOS, and how much storage space is available (Settings app -> General -> Usage)? Is this iPhone jailbroken, or is there anything else that might be unique or less common here?

If it's unable to load any of the tracks that you had added before, a way to reset that would be to connect the iPhone to your computer and open iTunes, then go click on the iPhone in iTunes, select the "Apps" tab at the top, scroll down to the "File Sharing" section, and click on "TrackAddict" in that list... The box on the right will then show your session Log files, as well as Tracks.dat and/or Segments.dat (at the bottom). Deleting these two .dat files will reset the circuit and segment track databases, and then you can re-add the ones you want. This has never been needed for anyone else, but if those files somehow got corrupted in your case, that is how to reset it.
RaceRender LLC
by HP Tuners
RaceRender LLC
Site Admin

Postby bimmerbri2 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:24 pm

Thanks for the detailed response. I have an iphone 5 with ios 6.0.1. Opening the TrackAddict HD app, under video it says Disk Full! I don't have any previous sessions saved. Under the iphone settings app, it says capacity is 13 Gb with 6.9 Gb available.

On the TrackAddict HD app, next to Track, it says Tap Here to Select. I tap that and it says I have no tracks set up yet. I tap New, and a new list of tracks appears. I tap on Virginia International Raceway and it immediately takes me back to the prior screen with no track added...it says "No Tracks".

How much free space is required?
bimmerbri2

Postby RaceRender LLC » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:48 pm

bimmerbri2 wrote:Thanks for the detailed response. I have an iphone 5 with ios 6.0.1. Opening the TrackAddict HD app, under video it says Disk Full! I don't have any previous sessions saved. Under the iphone settings app, it says capacity is 13 Gb with 6.9 Gb available.

On the TrackAddict HD app, next to Track, it says Tap Here to Select. I tap that and it says I have no tracks set up yet. I tap New, and a new list of tracks appears. I tap on Virginia International Raceway and it immediately takes me back to the prior screen with no track added...it says "No Tracks".

How much free space is required?

Thanks for the details. This is very strange... The reported 6.9 GB available should be well more than enough, but there are three independent symptoms here that each act as if your iPhone's storage space is completely full:

1) The "Disk Full" indicator means that iOS is telling apps that there is less than 200 MB of free space.
2) The inability to add a track means that it evidently can't write a small amount of data to the Tracks.dat file, which should only happen if the storage space is full.
3) The failure to start video recording typically also suggests that there is no storage space available.

Ultimately, the problem seems to be that iOS isn't giving any storage space to work with. I don't know why iOS would be reporting 6.9 GB available via the Settings app, as I have never encountered a discrepancy anywhere near that large. I could only theorize that this reported free space is somehow already allocated or reserved for something else, thereby preventing apps from using it. That might happen if you have app downloads or updates that are in the process of downloading, installing, or stalled. Otherwise, it's unclear why iOS would block access to so much storage.
RaceRender LLC
by HP Tuners
RaceRender LLC
Site Admin

Postby bimmerbri2 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:15 am

I've deleted a few videos and the iphone is now telling me I have 9 Gb of available space. The app still tells me the Disk is Full. I've tried restarting the iphone as well. No change.All updates to apps have been made. The only update waiting in the wings in the iOS 7.1 (1.3 Gb).

I'll have to try another computer to try itunes and see what files are stored.
bimmerbri2

Postby RaceRender LLC » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:43 pm

bimmerbri2 wrote:I've deleted a few videos and the iphone is now telling me I have 9 Gb of available space. The app still tells me the Disk is Full. I've tried restarting the iphone as well. No change.All updates to apps have been made. The only update waiting in the wings in the iOS 7.1 (1.3 Gb).

I'll have to try another computer to try itunes and see what files are stored.

I'd be curious to know if other apps are also unable to save data files, or if the problem is something that specifically affects just this app on your iPhone. I would have to assume that the built-in iOS apps have no problem, as they have special permissions, so the question would be about other 3rd party apps.

If it does seem to be limited to just TrackAddict HD, another idea could be to try removing the app from your iPhone (assuming that you have no data in it you want to keep), and then re-installing it from the App Store... If you're signed in with the same Apple account, the app listing should have a cloud or download icon in place of where the price would be, to indicate that you can download it again without being charged. That may help if its installation was somehow corrupted or otherwise botched... Haven't ever seen that happen, but installation is a process handled entirely by iOS, so not many internal details are known, and these symptoms might be possible if the app's directory permissions were somehow set wrong during installation.
RaceRender LLC
by HP Tuners
RaceRender LLC
Site Admin

Postby bimmerbri2 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:46 am

I just went to the App store and saw the update version 2.6 show up. I updated to this new version and *BAM*, it worked! Tells me I have 344 minutes of recording at the medium setting and I was able to load VIR...YAH!

Thanks for the responses and effort to help me out!
bimmerbri2

Postby RaceRender LLC » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:18 pm

bimmerbri2 wrote:I just went to the App store and saw the update version 2.6 show up. I updated to this new version and *BAM*, it worked! Tells me I have 344 minutes of recording at the medium setting and I was able to load VIR...YAH!

Thanks for the responses and effort to help me out!

Great! I'm glad it's working again!
RaceRender LLC
by HP Tuners
RaceRender LLC
Site Admin

Postby Jordanmilo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:14 am

I couldn't record video on Segment mode yesterday. Turned on my microphone as suggested today. I'm running iOS 7.1. I only have 1Gb of storage space available.

Is there a way I can transfer old TrackAddict videos to RaceRender on my MacBook Pro to free up space on my iPhone (4S)? Is there a way I can select a group of videos to transfer so that I don't have to select them one at a time?
Jordanmilo

Next

Return to TrackAddict (Archive)