Good results first time out!

Old forum being kept online for archive purposes
Forum rules
This is the old archived forum. Please post new threads in the new forum instead. Thank you.

Good results first time out!

Postby gary p » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:43 am

I bought TrackAddict HD for use at autocross events. Spent 20 minutes reading the directions in the app and on the website the night before the first event. After slightly flubbing the recording on the first run, I got great results for the rest of the day. Here's the video of my best run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT5k5bUsxIo

Recorded on an iphone 4 attached to the windshield with RAM Mount components.

Couldn't be more pleased with the results given the modest cost. Ease of use is outstanding. Had multiple people asking what I used to get the data overlay on the video. Hopefully you'll gain a few more sales!

The only criticism I have is that, for autocross at least, it would quite useful in segment mode to be able to "mark" the start line in the same manner as you mark the finish. The official timing start-beam is typically several car-lengths beyond the point where you stage. In the above video, the start beam was half way through the first curve. The TrackAddict displayed time was consistently about 3 seconds off the official time all day.
gary p

Re: Good results first time out!

Postby RaceRender LLC » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:10 pm

Excellent! Thanks for recommending TrackAddict HD to others!

I agree with you on the desire for a timing start point for autocross, as I've had similar experiences with the official timer being placed a bit after the staging area, so that it was basically a rolling start. I think that's probably common with most local SCCA Solo II events. Getting TrackAddict HD's timing to match up more closely in those cases is something that's on the to-do list, but of course has a few technical hurdles when it comes to doing it well, given the precision needed and the low speeds, so exploring this can take some time for development and real world testing...
RaceRender LLC
by HP Tuners
RaceRender LLC
Site Admin

Re: Good results first time out!

Postby gary p » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:54 am

Haven't autocrossed much since I first opened this thread, but I was out this past weekend and used Track Addict again. Very pleased to see the ability to "pre-mark" the segment start has been added; it really adds to the usefulness for this type of event. Took my first crack at going over data-files; looks like I'm going to have to get an external GPS with a higher sampling rate to get enough granularity in the data to be able to discern why one run was faster than the other. That said, the CVS file seems to be easy enough to work with. Can't believe how much capability this app has given the modest price. As I upgrade equipment (better GPS, Go-Pro camera, maybe OBDII interface), I can see myself purchasing RaceRender to make it all pretty for the interwebs.

FWIW, Add me to the list of people who would be pleased if you could figure out how to make it possible to do side-by-side comparisons of two different segment files.
gary p

Return to TrackAddict (Archive)