List of supported tracks available?

Old forum being kept online for archive purposes
Forum rules
This is the old archived forum. Please post new threads in the new forum instead. Thank you.

List of supported tracks available?

Postby lunat1ck » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:02 am

When I first looked at TrackaddictHD last year, I stuck with Harry's Lap Timer for a few reasons. Probably the main reasons I used HTL were the much larger user community, the plethora of features the software offers[*], and the HUGE list of supported, pre-defined tracks. TrackaddictHD had no such list, and that seemed like a big con to me.

I see in the documentation that Trackaddict HD *does* in fact have a list of all the "major North American" tracks, but is that list available somewhere? My home track (closest to me, and the one I've driven the most) is Lime Rock Park, which I'm going to assume is on the list, but it would be nice to know in advance whether or not a given destination is already pre-defined or not. Right now, I have to wait until I'm "close" to the track to find out.

Can you publish this information somewhere? Perhaps just a forum post, but a list maintained as part of the documentation would be great.

[*] NOTE: This turned out to be a con, not a pro -- I don't need MOST of those features, and I find the interface to be far too cluttered and clumsy. Trackaddict HD's interface is what I usually prefer -- simple and effective. When I took a second look at Trackaddict this month, I have to say the interface is *extremely* elegant, but then I thought the same of RaceRender2, which I've been using for a full year now.
lunat1ck

Re: List of supported tracks available?

Postby RaceRender LLC » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:00 pm

Yes, Lime Rock is included, and it will offer a default start/finish position of 41.92859, -73.38101. I'll look into publishing the list of tracks; it's a fairly long list, and mostly just needs some time and formatting to make it presentable.

TrackAddict HD will work at basically any track, known or unknown, with one of three levels of support...

1) Auto-detects track name and offers a default start/finish line for lap timing
2) Auto-detects track name only; user will choose the start/finish location
3) User enters track name and chooses the start/finish location

When you go to the track and press the app's Track: button to create a new track, it will get the GPS location and automatically fill in the track name in cases #1 and #2. In case #3, it will use the nearest large city name, or simply something generic. You can edit any of these to your liking. Quite a lot of data entry was done to get most road courses to fit cases #1 and #2, especially in the #1 group.

In case #1, it will also ask you if you want to use the default start/finish point for that track. It's always a good idea to verify that point it chooses matches your expectations and current track configuration, and you can view it in the app on a satellite view map. You can always bring this map up by pressing the track's > arrow button on the track selection screen.

If you start recording a session when the start/finish point hasn't yet been defined for that track, it will give you a large on-screen button to press as you cross the start/finish line, and that will be saved for future sessions at that track. The iPhone screen typically wont work with driving gloves, so those users will want to set it ahead of time.

You can also define the start/finish point by walking to it (or near it), then going into the track selection screen, pressing the track's > arrow button, and using the controls to set it based on the current GPS reading. If you already have a point set, that will initially show the current point on the map, which you can tap & hold to change, or just press the GPS button for more options.

Or, you can even just enter specific GPS coordinates on the track selection screen.
RaceRender LLC
by HP Tuners
RaceRender LLC
Site Admin

Postby RaceRender LLC » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:09 pm

The list of recognized tracks and default start/finish coordinates is now online here: http://RaceRender.com/TrackAddict/docs/TrackList.html

Most users wont need this, but the coordinates should be helpful for those who want to setup their tracks in the app ahead of time, when they are not nearby.
RaceRender LLC
by HP Tuners
RaceRender LLC
Site Admin

Postby lunat1ck » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:05 am

This is really helpful, thanks.

I noticed that track names are all links to the coordinates on Google Maps, so I checked the main tracks I go to and Lime Rock Park, New Hampshire and Watkins Glen all look perfect, but the coordinates for both New Jersey Motorsports Park and Pocono are not quite right.

The coordinates for NJMP point to the public road outside the complex, and NJMP actually has 2 tracks: Lightning and Thunderbolt, so there needs to be two entries for NJMP. I'd send you the exact coordinates, but I can't see how to you get Google Maps to return the coordinates of a location you've selected. At least not through the browser interface. For this location, with two separate tracks, I think you just need to list them separately. I'll try to figure out how to get the correct coordinates for you -- if I can't get them out of Google Maps, I'll ask one of my friends who's a member at NJMP to go stand on the damn start/finish lines and measure them. Worst case, I'll be there myself in late June, and I'll get them on my own.

Pocono has the correct start/finish line, for the tri-oval, but this is problematic, because it has numerous configurations, primarily the North, South and East road courses, and they can combine those in all sorts of ways. I don't think most of those configurations even use the front straight, which is where the main start/finish line is defined. Since all these configurations overlap, picking the "closest" one isn't easy, and it might require use interface changes to make them easy to select (not sure, 'cause I haven't gotten that far with using your interface).
lunat1ck

Postby lunat1ck » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:55 am

When I took a second look, I see that NJMP is specified as "user-defined", which obviously means you don't have specific start/finish line coordinates. If I figure those out, can you list both the Lightning and Thunderbolt tracks separately?
lunat1ck

Postby RaceRender LLC » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:24 pm

Yes, default coordinates for NJMP Lightning and Thunderbolt, as well as a few others, are now ready to be included in the next app update... This case will probably auto-detect well enough, being that it looks like they have separate paddocks, but giving the user a list of nearby tracks or configurations is something that's being looked into. For the time being, I'll just turn off the default Pocono coordinates, as not to cause confusion, being that the typical configurations don't use it.
RaceRender LLC
by HP Tuners
RaceRender LLC
Site Admin

Return to TrackAddict (Archive)