Distance traveled

Old forum being kept online for archive purposes and Knowledge Base
Forum rules
This is the old archived forum. Please post new threads in the new forum instead. Thank you.

Distance traveled

Postby goldstaronboard » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:34 am

Is there a way to display the distance traveled in meters on a Race render video? This would be for rally stage pace notes, we want to be able to do a recce video with accurate distance measurements overlay-ed on the video. The current solution is to have an extra camera looking at the trip meter and then PIP that into the video, a distance overlay would be a lot neater.

Thanks

Mike
goldstaronboard

Re: Distance traveled

Postby goldstaronboard » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:01 pm

OK figure how to get a distance overlay.

Only problem is that while the car is sat on the start line the distance is changing at around 1m/s while the car is sat still, is there a way of stopping this from happening?

thanks

Mike
goldstaronboard

Postby RaceRender LLC » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:37 am

RaceRender does have a calculated distance field, based on the measured GPS movement, so that may help here...

1) Click the "Add" button the under "Display Objects" section (lower right of the main screen)
2) Select "Text Data" type
3) In the Properties box that opens on the right, change the "Field" selection to one of the "(Distance)" options

Unfortunately, there is presently not a good way to adjust it or zero it at a particular point. When you're stopped and the GPS readings shift around a little bit (as many GPS devices do), that would introduce some error into the calculation.
RaceRender LLC
by HP Tuners
RaceRender LLC
Site Admin

Postby kaiowas » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:43 am

Personally I pre-process my data files which gives me the ability to add additional channels like this with maximum flexibility. For a distance calculation it's a relatively simple case of assuming straight line motion between each data point and therefore using trigonometry to calculate the distance between 2 successive points then summing all of these distances to give a total distance from any start point you require.

Using pre-processing I also add my own timing field (I'm sprinting from a standing start so this allows me to fine tune the point at which timing starts and ends for any given run to perfectly match my 'official' times), more accurate gear calculation (using logged speed and rpm data along with known gear ratios and wheel diameter for my car) and can calculate speed/distance/timing offsets compared to my best run to allow analysis of where/why I lost/gained time on any given run.
kaiowas

Return to RaceRender (Archive & KB)