Is more important the Cpu or GPU in Racerender

Old forum being kept online for archive purposes and Knowledge Base
Forum rules
This is the old archived forum. Please post new threads in the new forum instead. Thank you.

Is more important the Cpu or GPU in Racerender

Postby underteo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:44 am

Hi,
I don't know if is it possible to ask here for some suggestion for PC Configuration, if isn't possible i'm sorry for this post
in the last week i have bought the ultimate version of racerender 3.
i have try to do a 1080p outupt and it work fine but if I try to use 2.7k or 4k output is necessary too time for a few hours of video.

now I have this configuration:
CPU: intel i7 920
RAM: 8 GB 1.33Ghz
GPU: Nvidia gtx 280
windows 7

for a grat improvments of performance at high resolution is enough a new GPU or is better a new CPU whit faster RAM?
I'm thinking to a MSI GTX 970 OC.

Thanks
Br
Matteo
underteo

Re: Is more important the Cpu or GPU in Racerender

Postby RaceRender LLC » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:51 pm

RaceRender will generally benefit more from having a powerful CPU than a powerful GPU. There may be some cases where the GPU is utilized by the media decoders and/or encoders, but at the present time, CPU has a larger impact on overall performance. Faster RAM with a dual-channel (or better) setup may help as well, if your system is capable of using it at the faster speed.

However, 2.7K and 4K output should be expected to be very slow compared to 1080p, which is why a warning is shown when it is selected. These options will definitely strain (or fail) with many of today's computers, but they are included for the users who really need those options and have the CPU power and/or time to support that. As newer computers continue to get faster, this should become less of an issue (on average) than it is today. This Knowledge Base article shows a graph of just how much more work 2.7K and 4K add: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=306
RaceRender LLC
by HP Tuners
RaceRender LLC
Site Admin

Return to RaceRender (Archive & KB)