How to display time difference between laps

Old forum being kept online for archive purposes and Knowledge Base
Forum rules
This is the old archived forum. Please post new threads in the new forum instead. Thank you.

How to display time difference between laps

Postby asyrigos » Thu May 29, 2014 2:31 pm

Greetings,

I am interested in adding a Time Difference field between two laps: the current one and either best one or last lap.

Can someone guide me how to do this?

I searched through the available Display Objects to add but couldn't find something similar. I am using Race Renderer 3.0.8 for Mac.

Thanks,
Andreas
asyrigos

Re: How to display time difference between laps

Postby RaceRender LLC » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:17 pm

Hi,

Currently, there isn't an automated way to display the difference between two lap times, but it may be possible to add that in a future release... Would you envision this feature as simply showing a recently completed lap's time difference for X seconds upon each new lap (and then disappear), or are you desiring a more persistent display?
RaceRender LLC
by HP Tuners
RaceRender LLC
Site Admin

Postby Sebull » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:21 am

Hello i have the same need to display the difference between the current lap and the best laptime like in dashware.
Sebull

Postby asyrigos » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:02 pm

Ideally what I would like to see would be the following:

When the first lap is completed every next one will be compared with the current best time.

This should be like a + or - number next to current lap time. It should be persistent

So you can easily understand how much time you are gaining or loosing and why.

That's a great feature for improving your lap times.
asyrigos

Postby RaceRender LLC » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:00 pm

Ok, great. I was able to make a few changes to support that type of display, which will be in the very next release of RaceRender (will be either version 3.0.9 or 3.1)...

This option will be under the Enhanced Display Object selections. It would show the completed lap time for the current lap, and the +/- difference from the previous best lap so far, using a '+' and the color green to indicate a faster lap. So, each time you see it indicate an improvement, it means that the current lap is going to be the new best lap.
RaceRender LLC
by HP Tuners
RaceRender LLC
Site Admin

Postby asyrigos » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:20 am

Thanks, that's great news.

Is this going to be displayed from the beginning of the current lap and the whole duration of the current lap comparing its time with best lap?

It would be great to have green for faster (-0.5 sec) and red for slower (+0.5).

Kindly note that - is faster, + is slower. so it should be opposite to your example where you have + with green color.

Again this should be displayed throughout the current lap.
asyrigos

Postby Sebull » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:58 am

That would be great, i need the same feature that asyrigos explain.

Thanks and cant wait to have the next release.
Sebull

Postby RaceRender LLC » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:35 am

Ok, I will swap the +/- part... Some systems and users are accustomed to one way or the other, so the script code can be user-edited to change it back if anyone desires.

The display that's built right now would be displayed at all times and show the actual completed lap time for the current lap (ie it knows the future), with the line below showing the difference between that and the previous best lap. So, as it is right now, it would simply be updated once per each new lap.

Were you looking more for a predictive lap timer that continually updates to show the time gained/lost in each corner? If so, that's much more involved, so doing that would have a few more things that need to be evaluated...
RaceRender LLC
by HP Tuners
RaceRender LLC
Site Admin

Postby asyrigos » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:46 pm

Yes, that's what I am looking for. Something similar to predictive lap timing that will be constantly updated....
asyrigos

Postby Sebull » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:46 am

Any news for this feature ?
Sebull

Next

Return to RaceRender (Archive & KB)